Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rear Views: The Many Moods of a Baby on a Roadtrip

photo by Bea White

This is my nephew.  He is everything I will never be - cute, charming, perpetually tan and curly of hair.  As I have previously mentioned, we recently returned from a week-long road trip.  My sister drove the whole time and I tended to the baby for the many, many hours we spent on the road.  At some point in time Cheerios lost their powerful effect, toys became uninteresting and bottles and pacifiers were useless.  Have you ever turned a fuzzy, purple blanket into a hand puppet with a French accent?  Well, I have - all in an attempt to curtail the squeals and cries of this nearly-perfect little boy.  To capture his many moods, I was inspired to take his picture in the reflection of the vanity mirror on the visor.  This is what I saw.

Neutral

Bored

Fussy

Pensive

Defiant

Drowsy

Defeated


Hysterical

Crowded

Interested


Sneaky
Dreamy

When toys failed, everyday objects fascinated.

Inspired

Confused

Round 2 with the Kleenex box.

 Proud

Just plain exhausted
Towards the end of our journey, when every bottle had been lost, I handed him a "sippy" cup with water.  When I was watching him he was drinking contentedly.  A few minutes later, after turning my back to him, he was laughing hysterically; here's why (no, that is not me laughing like a lady in the background.....okay, maybe it is.....).

A drenched but happy baby.

Bad parenting?  Maybe.  That is why I am an uncle.

Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

No comments:

Post a Comment