While rummaging through patterns at a thrift store I found a 60's bikini pattern and for no other reason than to see if I could sew a bra top, I paid the good woman at the register my two bits and headed home to conquer a bikini!
Because I was sewing this for no one in particular, I simply cut the one-size pattern, made no alterations and began sewing. I chose an inexpensive, yellow, bandana-printed cotton from the stash. The pattern went together especially easily and there was enough material left over to make a very-superficial "cover-up." The cover-up is lined in black cotton; it has side vents and crocheted belt-loops (because I'm not sure what people who really know how to sew do for those "invisible-style" belt loops), and it is finished with a black, ribbon tie.
|The bikini is self-lined. |
The bra closes with buttons and the shorts have a back-zip closure
Truth be told, I sewed this quite a while ago but as I am still working on keeping my mysterious malady at bay, I have neither gone anywhere exciting nor attempted anything too creative as of late. While the swimsuit offers ample coverage to the wearer, this particular pattern was a rather teenie-weenie size; it ended up being so small that I had to pin it to the dress form. So, it may not be polka dotted, but it is yellow and I think the song still applies.
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" - Brian Hyland (1960)
The swimsuit may be complete, but I am still trying to figure out how to stuff this wild bikini! A little help...
|How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965)|