Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Dodo!!!

The recent lack of posts is in no way due to a lack of interesting information, lack of desire, or lack of fun times.  I have just been busy, busy, busy.  We leave tomorrow for Las Vegas (which has never been one of my favorite places but we'll see how it goes) and hence, the trend of absenteeism will continue until our return at which time I'm sure I will have loads of news and pictures to share.  As busy as I have been lately, I would be remiss if I didn't wish a very Happy Birthday to one of the brightest stars in the firmament, Miss Doris Day!

With the exception of the Birkenstock-esque footwear, this
is about as close to perfection as one can get.
(Source)

While her age and year of birth have been a source of debate (what celebrity's of a certain generation has not?), today officially marks the 88th birthday of Doris Day.  I could rhapsodize, but I will be brief and just share a few of her hits and my deep admiration for her music and film career.  Remind me later, however, to share with you the story of how I stalked her!

(Source)

NPR produced a great story/interview in celebration of her birthday - listen here! (thanks to my old friend Bret for sharing!)  Some of her answers are pretty hilarious so I definitely recommend listening if you're a fan.

Hubba, hubba!
I love that you can see her freckles in this one!
(Source)

In honor of her birthday, I thought I would post some of her musical standouts - a couple of her novelty tunes, and a few of my absolute favorites

"Celery Stalks at Midnight" (1941)

"Booglie Wooglie Piggy"

* I couldn't find a YouTube entry for "Tacos, Enchiladas, and Beans" but if you can find it, it's worth a listen!

"It's Magic" (1948)

"Again" (1949)

"Should I Surrender?" (1961)

"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" (1964)

If you are unfamiliar with her work, TCM has chosen her as the star of the month and will be playing many of her films.  My favorites include, Romance on the High Seas, My Dream is Yours, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Move Over Darling, Pillow Talk, Midnight Lace, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, The West Point Story, That Touch of Mink, The Thrill of it All, Lover Come Back, Love Me or Leave Me - I pretty much love them all.  

(Source)

Happy Birthday Clara Bixby!!!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Doris! I love her movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for helping me celebrate her birthday!

      Delete
  2. Have a good time! :)

    My husband loves her, just absolutely loves her. It's adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trixie! I always think it is so weird when another adult man really likes her, but I guess it means you picked a good one!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, DD! What a cutie. Have you read "Doris Day: My Story" that she co-wrote with A.E. Hotchner? Salacious, yet inspiring! I need to check out that NPR interview link. Don't forget to tell us how you stalked her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping me celebrate, Lisa! I guess I should have just included the story in this post; I'm not sure how often the opportunity to share a " Gone Doris Day Huntin'" story will come up. Also, I'm afraid the drama of alluding to it in this post is too big a build up. I will let you be the judge - I'll find a way to work it in to a post soon!

      Delete
  4. I'm 35 years old and I think she's hot and sexy

    ReplyDelete