Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Signs of the Times: Safari Inn


We always refer to our days of hopping in the wacky wagon and hitting the road as "Adventure days." I've heard the term "Urban Archaeology" bandied about too.  Somehow, that description offends my low-brow sensibility and sounds far too scientific when considering our methods - directionless driving with no real intent beyond looking at funny, old-timey stuff and/or (mostly and) eating something equally old-timey and delicious.  After finally setting my gaze upon the elusive Safari Inn in its native habitat, I've come to the realization that our explorations are best described as (sub)urban safaris; the point is always to catch a glimpse of the unsuspecting wacky tacky, to view natives species at the sundown watering hole for nothing more than the sheer pleasure of immersing ourselves in wacky tacky wildlife.

A wrought-iron replica of the sign's shield/spear motif on the motel's rocky facade.

A particularly-unflattering photo of Mr. Tiny just as he realizes that
"Urban Safari" is just as pretentious a term as "Urban Archaeology."
Considering that the only real safari experience available in
 Southern California is a "Surfin' Safari," I guess we'll just stick to
"Adventure Day."

"Surfin' Safari" - The Beach Boys

So, do you want to "Come on a safari with me?"  If you have any great ideas for an adventure day, or would like to join us, please feel free to share your thoughts and hop in the wacky wagon with us; we'll keep the motor running!!!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

14 comments:

  1. I love your adventure day posts! I'm hoping this summer to take a socal adventure trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo!!! There are so many great things to see in these parts!

      Delete
  2. Count Dave and me in!! :) Sounds like pure fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to make plans for a blogger adventure day!

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha! The "wacky wagon"! i love it! Sounds like a fun day could be spent in it! >sigh<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always try to have fun no matter what we're doing, but adventure days in the wacky wagon are the best!!!

      Delete
  4. man, if i lived close i would totally go wacky tacky crusin' with you!
    when i was a kid my grandparents had a pontoon boat on a lake in tennessee and we used to go tubing behind it. we loved the beach boys so we always changed the words to "let's got tubin' now!" and "come on tube safari with me!" not nearly as glamorous and surfin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I have been dying to go tubing!!! My cousin in TX has a boat and they go tubing (towed by the boat AND just floating down the river). It sounds so awesome!!! I usually stay out of non-chlorinated water but tubing would definitely break me of that habit!

      Delete
  5. I love adventure days! WTAT all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO!!! We need an adventure day STAT!!! Spring Break is basically over so let's get going!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, I'd love to join you guys on an adventure! Have you been to the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City? One of my favorite places in LA. I've also been wanting to see the Nethercutt Museum... I'm always so happy to meet someone who enjoys the wacky of Southern California as much as I do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nethercutt Collection has been on my list FOREVER. Because adventure days are generally unplanned, I have a hard time with the Nethercutt because you must make reservations (planning ahead - AAARGH)! We need to plan a meet-up there at some point. I am dying to go!

      Delete
  7. You always go to the BEST places!!! I'd LOVE to be a fly buzzin along in the Wacky Wagon!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that anytime you're in California, that you are more than welcome!!!

      Delete