Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sew What?! Spot, the Pet Zebra!!

Call it too many viewings of The African Queen and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but I can't seem to escape the unwitting inspiration of my latest sewing projects.  I have never seriously considered a trip to the African continent but after our "Rick-y Rack-y Safari" and "Serengeti Serenade" ensembles, all the subconscious arrows are pointing in that direction.  This most recent look is yet another indicator as to the location from which the next stamp in my passport might come - zebra territory!!!

Question: What did the blonde call her pet zebra?
Answer: SPOT!

A quick Google search of zebra-themed jokes devolves quickly from kindergarten domain to the terribly vile and profane.  Knowing that head-to-toe animal print is often relegated to the jokey end of the fashion spectrum, I thought I would attempt to instill my "pet zebra" with a serious touch of 1940s resort wear.

Among other things considered to be a joke is my pitiful lack of photography skills; if there is a way to get every angle wrong and treat lighting like a non-issue, I will find it.  Our photography woes were all but driven to extinction when Mary was recently shot by that talented man behind the golden camera, Alexander Thompson, for a music/fashion feature in "Ponyboy Magazine."  I knew that in his capable hands, these photographs would be no laughing matter!

"The Mary Simich Look"
(Photo courtesy of Alexander Thompson/Ponyboy Magazine)

So the question must be asked, is there such a thing as too much animal print?
If there is, we haven't found the cutoff; I almost forgot that I had made a matching handbag!
(Photo courtesy of Alexander Thompson/Ponyboy Magazine)

Mary has both a long torso AND long legs (I know, cry me a river) but at approximately
4.5' long, the whole of this six-gored, floor-length skirt couldn't be contained in the frame!
(Photo courtesy of Alexander Thompson/Ponyboy Magazine)

Were I to remake this outfit, there are definitely a few tweaks I would make.  I would try to cover the bare midriff just a touch by widening the bra top's bottom binding and possibly raising the waistband of the skirt.  I would also spend time redrafting the sleeve to minimize the fullness at the shoulder seam and add even more fullness at the cuff.  As is, it all can go so quickly from 1940s screen siren to...

Full-on Fly Girl realness!!!
Mary is too young to remember In Living Color,
but I couldn't help but think of it!

Do you walk on the wild side with extreme animal prints?  Do you think that there is a line one can cross into animal print overload or is too much never enough?

We extend a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to Alexander Thompson  and Ponyboy Magazine for this incredible feature on Mary.  You continue to prove that photography is definitely a fine art and you've given a whole lot of credibility to Mr. Tiny's humble workshop!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

20 comments:

  1. I really loved this interview, the pictures are so beautiful! They show well the beauty of your little ... tall sister and your great designs!!!!
    Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it a nice interview? Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. You can never have too much animal print...in fact, I don't think there's enough in those photos...throw some more in there!!! A matching turban, perhaps? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a turban!!!! Why didn't I think of a turban?!!! I need you as a consultant!

      Delete
  3. What a great interview and how nice to finally know your name! I say, no, you can't have too much animal print -- love the zebra ensemble. !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I do my best to never use my real name because as Pee Wee says, "That's my name; don't wear it out!" Hahaha!!!

      Delete
  4. i want one! this is to awesome for words
    frankie
    www.knitwits-owl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1940's Resort wear, the worlds needs MORE 1940's resort wear. #bringingclassyback Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview - and the pix are phenomenal! I always love the outfits you make for Mary. She wears them so beautifully!! Ahhh, creativity is everything!!!! You both are "the Top"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RS! Aren't those pictures beautiful?!! They make such a difference and motivate me to be worthy of HD fashion photography! I know you're a super-creative type too - it's what keeps us moving forward!

      Delete
  7. The photos and outfit are gorgeous! Oh, and Mary too. I need your sewing skills. Every time I'm out shopping I'd prefer to my own outfits again. Will definitely work on that. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Van! I've said it before; if I can do it, anyone can. My actual sewing skills are pretty meager but I need to take the ideas out of my head and put them in real life!

      Delete
  8. You're so inspiring! The bolero is brilliant and I always love a matching accessory. Mary's a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inspiration highway travels both ways - thanks for all of your inspired sewing!!!

      Delete
  9. This is absolutely brilliant! I love how over-the-top it is, you've really accurately recreated the 1940s silhouette in that. Fantastic. You make me want to sew more...better...faster! I'm so glad I discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Maybe we can trade sewing mojo for millinery skills. I want to make hats more...better...faster! Thanks again!

      Delete
  10. Mr Tiny again another fabulous outfit. I personally can't have too much animal print but to each his own. Bravo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm obviously a fan of a good animal print. Plus, she wore it to VLV where there is no such thing as too much. Hahaha!!!

      Delete