Thursday, July 17, 2014

wacky tacky Tunes: Fung Bo Bo-A-Go-Go

Far be it from me to toot my own proverbial horn, but it is not entirely uncommon for people to tell me that I am a good dancer (what else am I supposed to believe, having won my 5th-grade dance contest?!!).  It occurs to me, however, that there exists a slight possibility that I cut people off with an awkwardly-aggressive "thank you" before they can complete the thought; in hindsight, I'll concede that the likely conclusion to these compliments of my terpsichorean talents is, "for a white fella," or "for someone your size," or "for a guy suffering from your disorder."  That being said, I think enthusiasm counts for a lot, and I am nothing if not an enthusiastic dancer.

I'll really never know if I am a good dancer; until the terrorists capture me, forcing me to watch an endless loop of me hurling myself about the dance floor until I lapse into a psychedelic freak out à la Victoria Barkley in The Big Valley, I refuse to even think about what I look like in motion (my mom says I'm poetry personified).  I much prefer watching footage of legitimate dancers; this clip of one of Hong Kong cinema's biggest stars, Fung Bo Bo, might not be a psychedelic freak out, but it does give me everything I want from a choreographed, mid-tempo, 1960s, Eastern, movie-musical dance routine.


I think it's love!

There is something about summertime that brings me back to my first and true dance love - 60s party dances/go-go.  Giving all due credit to Candy Johnson and the perfection of the AIP beach party movies, summer makes me want to do my thing, be it Mashed Potato or Shing-a-ling!

Or even the Watusi!!!

Do you like '60s dances?  Is your dance style dictated by the season?  Are you the enthusiastic one who always gets the dancing started only to later realize that you're a real-life Elaine Benes?


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

8 comments:

  1. 60s dances - YES YES YES! Thanks for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so much fun! I love it! It reminds me of my fav, Cambodian Space Project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a child of the 60s, you bet, I love this stuff!

    Shared your post on Google+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it too! Thanks a million for sharing!!

      Delete
  4. I don't know why this reminds me of this but my mom is 67 and does water aerobics 3x a week and she said the other day they were playing the peppermint twist and wah Watusi and the mashed potato instead of their regular music. The instructor was about 24 and didn't know any of the songs but all the seasoned ladies in the class were going apeshit dancing and singing along. My mother talked about this for days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only makes sense that the only kind of exercise that sounds enjoyable to me is a water aerobics class for middle-aged women with a '60s soundtrack. I'm grabbing my swim cap and my nose plugs!!!!

      Delete