Sunday, May 27, 2012

There's No Business Like Show Business, From What I've Heard

So here's something wacky for you.  A couple of weeks ago, Like an episode straight out of "I Love Lucy," Mr. Tiny joined show business!  I've been involved in the business world for years - primarily monkey, but this was a real star turn.  True, I have had my brushes with fame.  I've been told repeatedly over the phone that I could be a voice-double for Robert Downey, Jr. (by the same person, sort of a phone stalker who was more than likely deaf).  I've met Hollywood A-Listers like Alice Cooper, Kurt Russell, and Butch Patrick.  I have been paid to dance, act, model, but this was the big time - real show business.

 Proof
Ashley, Alice, Mr. Tiny, and Richard (l to r)


About a month ago, Mary was asked to perform a show down in San Diego at The Tin Can Ale House.  Mary is a Wild Records artist so she is entirely accustomed to the smell of grease paint, the glare of flashbulbs, and the bright lights.  I, on the other hand, am a hopeless rube, a bumpkin by the standards of slick, big-city, show folk.  Fortunately, it was a cowboy/honky tonk show, so I fit right in.

The mural on the front of The Tin Can Ale House is pretty darn cool.
Mary & Mr. Tiny (photo courtesy of Sarah Drake)
Maybe sitting wasn't the most flattering position to take.

Strangely, the pure and unadulterated hatred that I have for the sound of my own voice has never stopped me from singing  - or talking for that matter (although I might reconsider after barely making it through a brief review of these videos that a friend was sadistic kind enough to shoot).  Even more strange was the generally-positive response we received for our set.  Here are a couple of the songs (including a Mr. Tiny original) that we performed.  Please, be kind, it was our very first show!

"Someday"
written by Jimmie Hodges 
performed by Mary & Mr. Tiny

"Wagon Wheel"
written and performed by Mr. Tiny and Mary


I was dreading the performance on our way down to San Diego, mostly because I felt weird that I would just be there singing while Mary did all of the heavy lifting (guitar, song writer, vocalist), but I ended up having a lot of fun!  We even tried our best to include some witty banter in between songs.  The wittiness of the banter is widely open for debate, but I think we did a pretty good job, all things considered.

I'm tellin' ya, it was the real deal.
We got drink tickets (wasted on non-drinkers, like ourselves) and everything.
We even got paid; although Mary has yet to fork over my half of the loot!

I'm doing my best to have a good attitude and accept the challenges and opportunities that come my way.  Hopefully, this was the first of many fun times and exciting adventures ahead!  After all, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen SD?


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

14 comments:

  1. Well, shoot. They won't let me see them. Will check back later. I'm happy for you that you got up there and did it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Y'all need to come play up north sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe after we get a few more shows under our belt, we'll hit the road!

      Delete
  3. Eliza and I really enjoyed Wagon Wheel! She asked, discerningly, when you will have that tune and others up on iTunes so that she can add it to her morning breakfast mix. ;) Thank you so much for sharing your music! Your voice has matured (considering that I haven't heard you sing in about 14 years) and it is really lovely. :) I think an album for kidlets called "Mary and Mr. Tiny's Wacky Western Tunes" would be a fun addition to any child's regular listening catalog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...Thanks! I'm glad she liked it! I'm not averse to a kids' album; I'd better start writing some songs!

      Delete
  4. I really liked your Wagon Wheels song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for checking out the blog!!!

      Delete
  5. "wagon whell" is an all-time fave of mine! you kids were great!

    ReplyDelete