Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chow Time: The Tam O'Shanter Inn

It is time that I come to terms with my suppressed, yet abiding, love of themed restaurants.  For many years I have convinced myself that much like lactose (and now gluten) I had a severe theme intolerance.  After visiting the Tam O'Shanter Inn in the Atwater Village neighborhood of Los Angeles, I realized that mine was not an aversion to themes, mine was an aversion to themes done poorly.  The themed restaurants of the 1980's and 90's always seemed too contrived, too plastic, too precious, and too loud.  The Tam O'Shanter Inn (est. 1922) is a beautiful example of a themed restaurant done right and the fairy tale, half-timber, Tudor-revival styling of the exterior gives patrons a delicious hint of what lies inside.

The Tam O'Shanter Inn

While it has endured some cosmetic and structural changes, the integrity of the original concept and design theme is very much intact - praiseworthy in a region where themes come and go (mostly the latter) and where vernacular architecture is quickly torn down or repurposed beyond recognition.  While we secretly think it is kind of awesome, we live in a town where tamales turn into beauty parlors.  Is there no respect for history?!  Well, there is at The Tam O'Shanter; the original family of owner/operators has been serving high tone Hollywood types for over 90 years in the same helpful, hospitable Scottish style.

Given my druthers, I, of course, would prefer the Tam O'Shanter of the 20's
(Source)

Speaking of old-Hollywood, the roster of diners at Tam O'Shanter reads like a "Who's Who" of Hollywood royalty including one of our very favorites, Walt Disney.  The original Disney Studios were located a very short distance from The Tam O'Shanter and became a regular spot for Disney and his team of hungry animators.

Walt Disney, Tam O'Shanter owner Lawrence Frank, and
  Papa Hemingway architect  Harry Oliver.
(Source)

Fortunately, the Tam O'Shanter need not only be a place where the elite meet; plebeians and untalented riffraff of every ilk are welcomed.  Knowing this, we made our way there on a recent adventure day.

No, Mr. Tiny, telephone reservations are not
 necessary for an early lunch.



The hearth situated in the restaurant's entry recalls historic, roadside
taverns and inns that dot the countryside of the British Isles.

Wood-paneled nooks with gracious wingback chairs invite
 hungry guests to stay and chat awhile.

For lunch, the Ale & Sandwich Bar provides fresh, carvery sandwiches and pub food including homemade potato chips and macaroni and cheese.

I was a little too shy to ask for a photo of our server, but she
was clad in an outfit not too dissimilar from the one seen on
a Tam O'Shanter hostess circa 1970.
(Source)


The Tam O'Shanter is a Lawry's restaurant, famous
 for their prime rib and roasted meats of every kind.
Mary ordered her sandwich from one of the master carvers.

Mr. Tiny got the cobb salad - more Hollywood than Edinburgh - but
really quite tasty.


Because it was our first time at the Tam O'Shanter Inn,
 our kilt-clad hostess brought us free dessert!  Knowing I
wouldn't be able to eat any of it, Mary polished it off before I
even had a chance to say, "None for me, thanks."  From what
 I understand, it was delicious...

Sometimes the picture of the food getting its picture
taken is better than the picture of the food itself.


The Scottish theme is evident in every nook and cranny of the Tam O'Shanter's many dining rooms.  Having never been to the British Isles, I can only hope and imagine that, should I get the chance to go, I would be treated to a very similar experience - including the glaring omission of haggis from then menu offferings.  Again, "None for me , thanks."






Given its Scottish - empahasis on the "ish" - provenance and its show business ties, I couldn't help but think of the Scottish number from an under-appreciated Astaire and Rogers musical picture, The Barkleys of Broadway.

"My One and Only Highland Fling" - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers

Feeling fine after a bra bricht  lunch, Mr. Tiny took
part in that oldest of Scottish traditions, lion surfing.

Sadly, we missed last year's 90th anniversary as wonderfully documented by our pal, Patricia Lynn, over at "Lady by Choice."  But if you're ever in the neighborhood and have time to stop and smell the heather, I highly recommend The Tam O'Shanter Inn.  If its Hollywood history (John Wayne ate here) isn't enough to lure you, then come for the theme; I have truly been converted.



The Tam O'Shanter Inn
2980 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA
(714)664-0228

www.lawrysonline.com


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

21 comments:

  1. oooh! I always love to add cool places like this to our Retro Roadmap itinerary for Los Angeles - makes us want to head back there sooner rather than later! What was Mary's dessert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! It was gobbled up so quickly that I'n not 100% sure; I believe it was the trifle - it looked like sponge cake and whipped cream, and berries of some kind??? It smelled really good and Mary seemed to enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. This place has been on my list of spots to visit for a while now! I'm a sucker for all things Scottish, so I'll have to make a little pilgrimage soon...maybe on the next drizzly Edinborough-weather day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go...it's perfect weather right now! You'll love it!

      Delete
  3. Aw, thanks for the shout out! Your pictures document the atmosphere much better than mine. I need to go again when I'm not on a diet (when is that???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. I got the salad (which was bad enough); Mary got a sandwich, mac 'n cheese, and then that free dessert. If the restaurant wasn't so awesome, it would have been torture.

      Delete
  4. That place looks too good to even be true. I swear, your neck of the woods has THE best stuff to do and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about you guys. I guess the grass is always greener... Let's do a cultural exchange program so we can enjoy cooler parts of the country!

      Delete
  5. I love The Tam O'Shanter! I'm so glad people are still appreciating it! If you go back, try the chocolate souffle, I am still trying to replicate it 10 years later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?! I have never attempted a souffle; too many sit-com episodes where someone sneezes and the whole thing deflates!

      Delete
  6. I'll be adding this to my list for sure! Love the tartan waitress uniform. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you're at all interested in Hollywood history, Scottish lore, or a good sandwich, then you should go!

      Delete
  7. Its stood the test of time for 90 years! Wow, Tam O'Shanter had a dream and went with it, and by your findings it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great (especially in LA) when anything lasts longer than 10 years. It is downright historic!!!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I love the building, even if they've made some changes over time! At least it's not a completely different remodel. Themes done well are heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it neat? One of these days I'm going to learn how to use a camera and show you how truly cool this place is. There are so many neat things to see inside and the staff was great too!

      Delete
  9. Such a fun place! I love restaurants that have retained their original charm and don't take themselves too seriously. Lately We are getting a bit burned out on trendy, high-brow dining with odd fusions and foams and very little food on huge pricey plates. By the way - that Cobb salad looks delicious. I'll have to visit when we're out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have never been one for fancy food; I always say that I am a fatty not a foodie. The salad was really good!

      Delete
  10. What a great place! I took a pic of that exact creepy man face mug in an antique store in Lockhart, TX a few weeks back.

    Pic of it HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You capture photos of the coolest stuff! I leave your blog wanting so many of the cools things you see. My grandparents had several of those "ugly mug" face jug things in their house when I was growing up. I wish I would have thought to keep one in remembrance when they passed on.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! You too. Sorry to hear about your grand folks.

      Delete