Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sew What?! The Most Beautiful Woman in Puppetland!


The Pee Wee Herman Show (1981)

Very rarely is my inspiration formed exclusively out of whole cloth.  Even when I create something that I think is unique and original, it usually has its foundations in something or someone from which I have derived great pleasure and amusement.  Subconsciously, Miss Yvonne from Pee Wee's Playhouse has become more than an inspiration, she has become a muse!  I hadn't considered this reality until I saw a picture of the dress I made Mary for Christmas...

What do you think?  Miss Yvonne 2011, no?
(Photo courtesy of The Rockabilly Socialite)

The one and only Miss Yvonne
(Source)

The exaggerated, late 50's/early 60's cupcake styling, the
"on the nose" Christmas motif, the gleam of crazy in the eyes -
 individually, these traits could be traced to any
 source but together, they all spell Miss Yvonne!
The dress is made from a vintage, polished cotton and a vintage tablecloth with red sequins.
(Usually, I refuse to cut up vintage wares but this cloth was beyond repair or use as such).

Lynne Stewart is the actress who portrays Miss Yvonne.  As funny and talented as I think she is, it is not Lynne Stewart who has permeated the recesses of my creative subconscious, it is Miss Yvonne.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
I even like her as a nun, but where is the hair?
Where is the crinoline?

Many times in the history of this blog I have made mention of Pee Wee Herman and his supreme influence over my childhood; it is from him that I learned the fundamentals of wacky tacky.  It is from Miss Yvonne, however, that I learned about beauty.  After all, she is "The most beautiful woman in Puppetland!"


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

1 comment:

  1. Miss Yvonne's Clog Dance is a historic moment in TV history!

    ReplyDelete