Wednesday, December 25, 2013

I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas!

No matter how often I try to face the reality that recapturing the magic of childhood Christmases is impossible, I find that I still subconsciously set unrealistic expectations of what I should be doing and how I should be feeling when the big day rolls around.  In my mind, the day should last longer, the lights should be brighter, the gifts more bountiful, the spirit more pervasive, and the nog just a little more eggy.

(Source)

I think it's the adult pressure to have a "perfect" Christmas that makes me go a little nutty - "nuttier than a fruitcake," is the phrase that comes to mind.  After all of the planning, prepping, decorating, delivering, shopping, baking, cooking, and cleaning, I'm feeling much more exhausted than festive - and that's before the family comes over!  I guess I'll "yust" let Yogi tell you...

"I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas" - Yogi Yorgesson (1949)

Is it wrong to take comfort in the universality of a half-crazed Christmas?  Even in 1949, the mad dash for presents, the bills, and the poorly-behaved relations were common elements at every holiday celebration.  And so I say, so what if all the nuts in my family qualify our living room as its own "Nutcracker Suite," I "yust" go nuts FOR Christmas!  In spite (or maybe because) of the madness, I still "en-yoy" the Christmas holiday and I hope that you do too.

Now that's NUTS!
(Source)
Here is wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year!!! 


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

4 comments:

  1. Yogi Yorgesson!!! My mom would always play this and it never gets old. Thanks for reminding me of it! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you guys I hope you're having a wonderful holiday season!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you (a day late!) I feel the same way. when i was a kid we spent that night at my grandparents and spent the whole day eating and playing with our new toys. now we spend the day going from house to house and get home exhausted and feeling like we need a day off! but i still love most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too late - you're my first "Merry Christmas" for 2014! Merry Christmas to you guys too! I love the idea of Christmas; sometimes the reality is a little lackluster. Nevertheless, I'll always be nuts for Christmas!

      Delete