Thursday, December 19, 2013

Kitsch-en Kounter: It's A Marshmallow World in the Winter

The other night at a holiday party, the Rice-A-Roni jingle was getting quite a lot of play (not at all unusual for the types of parties I attend).  Once performed, the song is on perpetual replay in everyone's mind until replaced by something equally infectious; the jingle eventually led to intense and provocative discussions of other processed foods and pre-packaged meal-aids like Hamburger Helper and Shake 'N Bake.  With equal parts pride and embarrassment, I had to admit that in all my years, I had never tried any of these products (fancy, name-brand items were reserved for the rich and famous).  For better or worse, we were raised without the benefit of many packaged and processed foods; that meant no "San Francisco Treat," no TV dinners, and definitely no Hostess Sno Ball snack cakes.  

All these years my parents deprived us of  the "Energy snack!"

On the way home from the same party we were listening to a stellar, Christmas music mix that included "It's A Marshmallow World," as performed by the inimitable Darlene Love (a welcome replacement for the ringing bell of a San Francisco cable car).  After a full night's sleep of digesting lyrics like "It's a yum-yummy world," "It's a whipped cream day," "In winter it's a marshmallow world," and "The world is your snowball," I kid you not when I woke up and exclaimed aloud, "SNO BALL CAKE!!!"  Thus, the next entry into our wacky tacky Kitsch-en Kounter was born.  It's like the song was written by Hostess as jingle for it's snowy, pink treats.

Obviously, reproduction Sno Balls are not an original concept.
This vintage ad for Swift'ning Shortening shows that cotton 
candy-colored coconut cakes are a perennial favorite.

Like a well-formed snowball, all the birthdays in my family are densely packed around the holidays; I knew that the next birthday cake I made had to be an homage to the coconut confection of the same name.

The inspiration - a rich, devil's food cake filled with cream, covered
in a layer of marshmallow and dusted with bright PINK coconut.

Don't get me wrong Mr. Presley, your "Blue Christmas" may be second only in colorful, yuletide magic to Mr. Crosby's "White Christmas," but I think that I have forever been converted to a PINK Christmas! 

I'll have a pink Christmas!
I was surprised to find that a twelve-pack of Sno Balls was just under three dollars - leaving me wondering why it is so much cheaper (in the short run) to eat junk food.  Instead of pondering the complexities of a serious subject like my own place in America's obesity epidemic and healthcare crisis, I grabbed the Sno Balls and a box of Copitos (some strange, pink coconut/marshmallow blob on a chocolate cookie trying to horn in on the pink coconut craze) and made it out of the store for just over four dollars!

My Sno Ball is a three-layer, devil's food cake with whipped-cream filling.
The icing is a pink-tinted, marshmallow buttercream with dyed-to-match coconut.

Now is the time when I must admit that I still have not had an official Sno Ball snack cake; I didn't save any room after indulging in a hefty slice of my own creation.  Beyond their 1940's provenance and ultra-kooky aesthetic (immortalized in John Waters' Hairspray), I think Sno Ball's are best appreciated from afar (or in the form of a homemade dessert).

Our Sno Ball Tableau
My usual more-is-more philosophy kept nagging me as I patted on the last flakes of pale-pink coconut.
I racked my brain for additional decoration ideas until I remembered that I was trying to recreate the
 simplistic beauty of the original Sno Ball.  Even without adornment, the wacky tacky Sno Ball Cake
is sure to have Mr. Tiny dreaming of a pink Christmas!

"It's A Marshmallow World" - Darlene Love

Have you ever had a Sno Ball or Rice-A-Roni for that matter?  In what color do you dream your Christmases? 


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

p.s. If you've got a hankering for a Sno Ball, you're welcome to come over.  I have a dozen with your name on them! Ho-Ho-Hostess, Merry Christmas!

14 comments:

  1. I grew up in a house without Kool aid or twinkies so I feel your pain. My family was fairly heathy which is always disheartening to a child. I've never had a sno ball either and never really wanted one...until now. Now I'm suddenly craving on at 12:28 am. Damnit, tiny!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! I have no self-control when it comes to, well anything really, but the real Sno Balls just sit there. I'm not tempted at all. I think growing up without that stuff has left me without a taste for things like that.

      Delete
  2. They are just the prettiest desert, my parents where also against all packaged snacks so I never had this treat. My husband has though and he says the taste leaves something to be desired, but the pretty pinkness is amazing

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so charming but I think the satisfaction of being able to say that I have never eaten one trumps any desire to try a Sno Ball. I have a feeling that your husband is right!

      Delete
  3. Love those fluorescent pink treats - almost too kitschy to eat! I had to laugh when you said you hadn't tried the pre-packaged staples of the 70s. My family, for a time, was in to Pour-a-Quiche. We also liked the Bisquick cheeseburger pie that was my mom's specialty! Merry Christmas, Mr. Tiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of Pour-a-Quiche!!! That sounds frightening and incredible all at the same time! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  4. My eyes are charmed with your snowball tableau. Your cake looks so good. Was it to your liking taste-wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! While I don't think it will become a birthday/winter tradition, my cake was pretty darn tasty. The dyed coconut, however, is sure to enter into regular rotation!

      Delete
  5. Beating egg whites was considered pretty fancy growing up in New Zealand in the 60's/70's. My mum's church ladies' cookbook is largely full of mutton based recipes with enticing names like 'Hukanui Hotpot'.
    The pink cake ensemble is a thing of great beauty and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AP! Hukanui Hotpot sounds incredible. If that is the kind of offerings I can find in New Zealand, I had better get myself there posthaste (it's already high on my list of places that I must see). As cheesy as it sounds, I fell in love with the movie "Whale Rider" and promised myself that I would see the beauty of that country someday.

      Delete
  6. I love this! And I am sure you already had the coconut in your pantry waiting to be used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Easy-E!!! A well-stocked pantry is a joy forever (or at least until the next shopping trip). Of course I had coconut on hand!!!

      Delete
  7. I know this is very after the fact, but wow, What a cake. I think I might have to make myself one for my Birthday!! I did not have any of those products growing up, but ironically, Snowballs are my favorite guilty pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I still haven't had a proper sno ball but now that I have none in the house, I have a hankering for one.

      Delete